Sunday, January 9, 2011

More December Finished Objects!

I'd better post photos of the rest of the knitting projects I finished in December. (Particularly since I completed my first FO for 2011 yesterday.)

The first item, the Frosting Shawlette by Erica Jackofsky (a.k.a. Fiddle Knits), was knit in July and August (27 July--11 August), but not blocked until the weekend before Christmas. The shawlette, which was a fun, fairly fast, and easy project, was still one from which I learned something new. I had never encountered bird's-eye lace before, but as you can see from the photo, the border of the shawlette is all bird's-eye lace. (As always, click on any photo to enlarge.)

The Frosting Shawlette was knit in Frog Creek Fibers Verdant yarn, in the Cinnamon Toast colorway. I liked this yarn a lot; unfortunately, the dyers are on an indefinite hiatus. This shawlette was my Christmas gift to my son's girlfriend.

The next finished object, another shawl, was also started in the summer. I designed this shawl to be knit with one skein of yarn, and started knitting it in mid-August. I knit on it for three days, then set it aside, and didn't pick it up again until the day after Christmas, and finished it in three days. When I picked it up again, I ripped out several rows and changed the pattern---unfortunately, not for the better. But it was my first triangular shawl design, and I learned several things from it, so in that respect, it was a success. This shawl was knit in Great Adirondack Silky Sock, in the Grenada colorway. Since this shawl was an experiment, I made it for myself.

My third finished object in December was a Lacy Karius shawl that I'd started in the summer. It, too, sat for a long time---in this case because I found knitting it very boring. It was knit with Socks That Rock lightweight yarn in the Bejewelled colorway. I had never knit with this yarn before, and although I liked it, it was thicker than I expected---closer to sport-weight than fingering. (Or, to use the Yarn Council's terms, more fine than superfine.) The colors are glorious; the pattern, as the second photo shows, not very exciting at all.

My final finished object for 2010 was the pair of socks I knit in December. These socks are Wendy Johnson's Basic Gusset Heel Socks. I knit them using Opal Antonia aus Tirol yarn, colorway 2802. I started the socks on 04 December, finished the knitting on 30 December, then wove in the ends and blocked the socks on 31 December. Since I wasn't sure I would finish the socks before or after Christmas, I made them for myself. : )

Did you end the year with a knitting blitz? I had hoped to finish a few more things, but...



  1. Great shawls. I've lost count but did you complete your goal of 10 shawls in 2010? I really like the way that you can re-think a pattern in the middle of the work. I've noticed that you are queuing shawls again and there are some beauties in your queue, a couple of which I've made note of to knit myself. I love going through friends queues. Our tastes are usually similar and they have winnowed out the best of the best.

  2. I did not finish 10 shawls in 2010. I didn't start until the end of June, then in August I got distracted by three big shawls (more than 1000 yards), even though I already had one in the works. Two of the big shawls are more than 70 percent finished, but the other two are only 25-30 percent complete. This year I know not to start too many at once, and to work on the big shawls during the summer.

    I have queued several shawls recently. I'm glad you found some in my queue that you want to knit. Perhaps we can knit along with each other on one of them.


Ring Memberships